25. mars 2010

Adv speech - special occasion speech

Dearest Rolf, my one and only brother.

Congratulations. The 29th of April 2007 this was my day. And today, May 6th, 2012 – it’s your day. Your confirmation. Your guests. Your gifts. Your family, and your friends. All gathered here again, 5 years later, including new friends and new family members – reminds me a lot of my confirmation: I remember not being excited for having to get up at 7am on a Sunday, to then get all dressed up, and then have to go to church! And after staying there for hours you’re having a dinner party, with all this fancy food you don’t even like. A lot of old people you don’t even know is going to walk up to you and tell you how they started drinking coffee the day of their confirmation, or moved out, or got a job.

My confirmation knocked me off my feet. It wasn’t what I expected it to be at all. To be surrounded by all the people I love, just for one day, was amazing. It didn’t really matter why we were gathered – but knowing that everyone was there just for me was definitely something special. I hope you’ll have the same enjoyable feeling as I had. I hope you go to bed tonight, thinking you loved every second of this day. Hoping you’ll never forget it. Wishing you could live it over. Loving all the people you spent it with. Knowing you are loved. Knowing all of us will always be there for you, and we have been from the very beginning.

When my dad, who was going to be our dad, told me I was getting a little brother my body was filled with excitement. I still remember the tingly feeling of hopes and expectations and joy.

Then you were born, and I got to meet you for the first time - look at you – feel you – and compare us, since you were the only person I’d ever met that had the exact same set of genes as I had. And the very first moment I laid my eyes on you – I realized I loved you. And I was going to love you more than you could imagine, and I would always love you. I would love you from the very bottom of my heart, more than life itself, higher than the steepest mountains and deeper than the deepest oceans. I also decided I should let you know as often as possible, and I have been.

As soon as you grew up and started to find it boring to play with your 5 year older sisters’ barbies and dolls and toys, you also found it annoying that I hugged you and told you how cute you were all the time. Because, let me be honest: we all knew you weren’t cute, you were tuff. And when you got even older, you found it quite embarrassing that I kept hugging you and telling you how cute you were – even in front of your friends. You started fighting the system, and that’s how we had our first legit fight. And I would just keep telling you I loved you – only because I knew it would bother you. We both know we LOVE getting on eachothers nerves, and pushing eachothers buttons. We have fought everywhere about everything, and we have driven everyone crazy. Most of the fights I can remember has been over candy: the last piece of chocolate, or the last can of pop. We fought over the computer, the TV, MY bicycle, MY scooter, the front seat in the car, the playstation, mom&dads attention and pretty much everything there is. And we both hate sharing. Especially with eachother. And that is why I feel extra honored over getting to share this day with you. Because you chose to share this day with me. You didn’t take the last piece of chocolate, you shared it with me. This is taking a big step. This, is growing up. Either you like it or not you are growing up, slowly - but surely. One of the places I’ve been able to follow your growth is at the soccer field. Everyone who has ever met you knows about you passion for soccer – it is admirable. And it has given you basic guidelines in life I am sure you’ll never forget:

Don’t let anyone stop you.

Don’t let anyone get in your way.

Always know where the goal is.

Always know where you’re enemies are.

Support your team even through tough times.

Without pushing your buttons, or getting on your nerves, I would like to tell you today:
that I do sincerely love you.
that I am always here for you, even though I’ve moved out and don’t see you as often as I would like to.

To tell you: congratulations, Rolf.
You are my favourite playmate. My favourite boy. And my favourite sibling.
To tell you I love you.

2 kommentarer:

Sunniva sa...

Eg må si du er flink til å skrive talar, Guro! :)
Blir reint rørt her eg sit.

ghfg sa...

"Ugly shoes", is quite MBT popular health shoes. Exterior than "holes are ugly shoe" on its solid, nature is the "internal" win, see this is global celebrity adored as "pocket stadium" Swiss MBT top hiking shoes health!cheap MBT shoes